The main activity of melodeon playgroup will take place on Saturday 9th February but since our lovely learners come from all over the country we have extra informal sessions on Friday and Sunday too. The programme given below is an outline based on previous years – full details to be confirmed nearer the time.
Informal welcome session in the Pewter Room of the Fleece Inn – from around 8pm. We have the room booked from 6pm for those who wish to eat at the Fleece – if you wish to book a table between 6-8pm please contact the pub directly.
In the Barn
- 10.00 – 10:30 Meet and greet – All
- 10:45 – 12:15 How to Unboring Tunes – Tutor: Lester Bailey Level: Beginner
- 12.30 – 13:30 Lunch break
- 13:30 – 14:15 – Getting Started with ABC Notation
- 14:30 – 16:00 How to Unboring Tunes – Tutor: Lester Bailey Level: Beginner
- 16.15 – 17:30*Playing together – Party Pieces, your chance to play your favourite tune
(optional, no pressure but highly recommended)
* or until we get bored or run out of steam or whatever.
In the Village Hall
- 10:45 – 12:15 What it is to Play Together – Tutor: Mel Biggs Level: Improver
- 14:30- 16:00 What it is to Play Together – Tutor: Mel Biggs Level: Improver
- 10:45 – 12:15 First Steps – Tutor: Helena Cooper Level: Absolute Beginner
- 14:30- 16:00 First Steps – Tutor: Helena Cooper Level: Absolute Beginner
In the Pub
- 19:30 (ish) it’s session time – tunes in the pewter room for Playgroupers who feel confident in a steady speed session. Goes on until we run out of steam or the landlord kicks us out.
In the Barn
- 19:30 (ish) for the less confident and newer players, time to play together in the barn, aided and abetted by Lester Bailey and the playgroup elves. Play tunes, chat with other new players or ask all those questions about melodeons you never got around to asking.
This year for the first time there are two Sunday options. Due to popular demand we wil be running a Fettlers’ Day with Lester Bailey in addition to our traditional farewell meet-up at the Fleece.
Fettlers’ Day is aimed at those who want to understand the gubbins of their melodeon better and progress to doing repairs for themselves. The day will run from 10:30am until 4.00pm and will cover common problems and issues with your melodeon, including valves, waxing, tuning, bellows and casework. If you have a particular problem or issue with your melodeon this is the place to ask. Full details here.
Our traditional farewell session back at the Fleece includes dancing from Belle D’Vain morris – you’ll have a chance to play along and say farewell to Playgroup for another year. Dancing from 12:30 but feel free to come along earlier for breakfast, a last look at the Acorn Instruments stall or just to chat with fellow playgroupers.